Modeling Orbits by Programming in Hopscotch





This week in fifth grade we have been studying planetary movement.  From navigating by constellation to the mechanics of an eclipse we have been working to understand how the heavens work.  We extended this conversation into technology class as we used Hopscotch to explore the movements of planets.
We only had about 30 minutes available this week, so I kept the instruction short.  I reminded the students about how to add characters from Emoji.  Then we talked about how to program the characters to move in a circle.
While the students worked, I helped some with hints and gave bigger challenges to others.
Overall I was really impressed with the quality of conversation about planets and orbits.  Several students developed pretty good models.  I gave them the chance to impress me and they delivered.  The most rewarding moment was at the end of the lesson when many of the students asked when we would have time to finish their projects.

Comments