Are you Making Enough?

Work is a constant sense of business.  There is too much to do.  Once again the truth of it is freeing.  There is too much to do, therefore it cannot all get done.  We do our best every day and try to make good choices, and apologize when we get it wrong.  What is lost in this endless work machine of teaching can be perspective, and a sense of self.
Sometimes I make pictures
I have found this at times through writing and creating.  When it happens, it is the best part of play. Jane McGonigal calls it "flow": in her Ted Talk.  It happens sometimes when I read, write, or create something. It is a state of concentration and engagement that centers me wholly in that moment.  If you don't know what I am talking about you might not be Making enough.
Consider designing and building something that will be useful.  I built puppets to help me make videos for class, it has been amazing. I don't think it is going to be puppets for everyone, but it should be something.
I make so many things these days: this week the list includes a blanket, several videos, and a partial puppet..  Yes I was building a puppet with LED eyes and I broke him.  I think I will have to tear it down or start over.  My main problem is I have no idea what I am doing.  I ask for a great deal of help, but I always have more questions.  I always have more work than I can do, and there are always pressing deadlines. making things takes time and I start and stop projects constantly.
I really appreciate the creative potential of programming apps like Scratch JR.  I made a short presentation using Scratch JR.  I was trying to understand how Dialogue worked in Scratch JR so I programmed a dialogue about something I believe in.



I want my students to make more, and it isn't easy lessons can me messy and dangerous, everybody is a little outside their comfort zones all the time.  I encourage you to take the risks you need to and share about it.  Your sharing helps me be brave, and kind.  It helps me remember that when I create something I am creating myself.  It is a self I feared lost some years as work piled up and I was buried and knew other teachers had it much worse.
There were years I was too busy to make anything, and my brain missed it.  Even if all you are making is a short program, give it a shot and share your process with the kids.  Help them make something important to them.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Awesome Sam! I think we are all makers. What gets lost sometimes is sharing in struggles as well as successes. Share your creations, even at the early stages with the learners who visit your classroom. Let them know that you are a learner too. We all go through he design cycle, but learners rarely see teachers actual journey. Sharing your vulnerability creates a trusting, supportive environment of risk takers and a community of makers. Thanks for the reminder!
Sam, This is a great WALK the WALK (not just talk the talk) blog post about MAKING! Love it.