Supporting State Landmark Research in 5th Grade


Possible Sources for Significant Landmarks (an incomplete list)


Today’s challenge is helping students search effectively for significant landmarks for a state research project.  What my teachers and I have found is that many students do not have a big picture idea of what kinds of things might be a source for significant landmarks in their state.  As we were talking I thought, “What these kids need is a big picture.”  So I used a Wiki commons media image of a US map and labeled each area with possible sources for landmarks using Snagit.  This is not comprehensive at all, but a place to start.  To check my own assumptions, I showed it to several other teachers and got some more ideas.  We will post this on the 5th grade blog and add it as a resource they can use to guide their research.

Have I missed something important?  What would your map look like?  How do you use graphics to support learning in your class? Share in the comments and let's figure out how to build better resources, and model the process for our kids.

Comments