Questions about Learning Stations in Elementary

As I think about learning stations in elementary I wonder how many I need with 24 kids. I am leaning towards at least 6 stations.  This is based on the idea that 24/6 =4, but I am committed to letting them choose which ever station they want.  Ownership of knowledge begins with choice.  I am also not sure it will be group work,  so what does the number of choices matter? I am sure 

Each choice means another set of directions to deliver or make available, and another set of skills to build. I need a variety of compelling choices. I am sure the choices need to connect deeply to the content area lessons as well as the student’s interest. Perhaps we have regular choice days and each one has more options available.

Now I have questions upon questions.
  • How many stations do I need? (must think about this from the point of view of engagement, not management)
  • How do I use the space in the room to give kids space to record and work?
  • Which base skills do I need to teach to prepare the kids for stations?
  • How do I deliver directions at the learning stations?


I envision a very hybrid experience where instructions are on an iPad or web page and available at the stations via bookmark or QR code. (Do we have a QR reader installed? Have I taught the kids to use one? Can I teach that skill quickly?) When the kids come to class we would go through the menu of stations as a whole class, but detailed instructions would only be at the stations.  I think they will need support to get there, but I hope to create an environment of independent work and problem solving in which kids create their own understanding and feel a sense of ownership and agency.

What questions do you have about learning stations in elementary? What has your experience taught you?

Comments