Scratch Jr, Programming for Prereaders

I was really excited for the release of the Scratch Jr app.  Its parent langauge is Scratch, an amazing programming interface that opened the world for programming to a whole new group of young programmers.  I have used scratch with my students from grade 4 up and I have seen other teachers who use scratch with students as young as first grade.  

Last year as I was figuring out how to bring meaningful computer programming to my pre-reading students, I really wanted to find tools that worked on the iPad.  I was really excited to find Kodable and it transformed my approach to coding with kindergarten students.  As I looked to expand my resources, I talked to many developers and time after time I heard about projects underway to make complex programming available to young students.  Then I found the Scratch Jr. kickstarter.  I didn't have a chance to support the project at that stage, but as soon as I saw that a Scratch platform for the iPad was being developed I began looking forward to when I could bring this to my students.

In the mean time, I learned about what meaningful tech integration looks like in the primary grades.  There were many lessons along the way, but the most important was that the camera.  The camera allows students to easily place the work on their desk inside the iPad.  My first experience was with Puppet Pals.  This was one of the most expensive apps I bought last year.  While there is a free version, the paid version allows you to use the camera to bring in custom backgrounds and characters.
This feature makes it possible for students to share their developing understanding of a topic. Now the FREE IOS App,  Scratch Jr comebines an instructive coding environment with a camera import ability.  I have only worked with this app for a few hours and I am already really excited about what we will be able to do in class with this app. Check out the video for more great ideas for integration, and maybe get some inspiration for your own situation.

 

What can you teach using this platform?  Let's share ideas and inspire each other to use programming as a medium for developing and applying understanding.

Comments

Gary Hall said…
I've just started using Scratch Jr here in the UK with Foundation and KS1 children. (Kindergarten and K1 in the USA I think). The children took to it really quickly and really enjoyed the experience. I've tried many other programming apps with this age group but Scratch Jr is the best so far. Great article BTW.