Video Creation to Empower Students


Video and Google Apps for Education from Sam Patterson, MFA, Ed.D.

There are times in my life where I feel like a curtain of a type has been lifted and an essential truth has been exposed.  This week it happened as I was presenting about GAfE and creating video.
I discovered that the reason I love teaching kids about video creating is because authorship changes lives.
My life was changed forever when a teacher in high school looked at what I was writing and responded to the message.  It was the first time my work had found an audience.
I loved that audience.  I wrote poetry and performed it in coffee houses, I ran poetry readings for years because I wanted others to be able to find an audience.
The contemporary availability of video tools and their awesome ease of use has created an opportunity that most teachers are unprepared for.
We can lead our students to create meaningful texts that connect with a real audience in more media than ever.
Although my fellow English teachers might disown me for this sentiment: Video creation is an act of authorship that requires all of the skill and process of writing.

Comments