Programming in Hopscotch 2.0, an example of video augmented instruction

When I talk to people about "flipped" learning in primary grades I usually talk about video augmented instruction.  I do not expect or require my students to do homework.  I do like using Raz Kids to support reading at home, but I don't have a pedagogical need for my students to pre-process a large block of content, and that is the goal best served by traditional flipping. (Think college general ed classes)
What I advocate is helping our students develop the literacies needed to learn with video.
The page below the break is my lesson support for 3rd grade grandparents day activity.  Students will be creating a game with their grandparents.  I will be actively teaching in the room, but this page links back to prior lesson and has all the resources I am presenting today.
How do you use video to support instruction?  Let's share ideas in the comments.


Page as the students viewed it below this line
_______________________

Hopscotch got a great upgrade!  Today we are going to learn about it and help our class guests to program a game in hopscotch.  This lesson builds on the previous lesson on programming a game in Hopscotch  (That is a link to the post, so if you can't remember how to do it, read that post)
The big changes in Hopscotch are that you can save an ability.  This means if you create the ability "run around" and code move and rotate blocks in a repeat loop, you can quickly add that complex ability to many characters without rewriting the code.
The second change is that it is easy to create a variable to keep score or change the performance of the game.  You can make all the characters speed up every time you score a point, or touch the edge, or step on the chicken.  Here is a short video we will watch together once and then you can re-watch if you need to.

Comments