Setting up Feedly as a Reading and Sharing Platform

I love blogs, seriously/  The more I write them, the more I love them.  Blogs can take so many different shapes.  When I first started reading blogs, I didn't know where to start, now I often let my chatting help drive my blog reading. The way I figure it is that is I like chatting with someone I will find their blogging useful and engaging.
But once I decided to read someone's blog I lacked a workflow to keep the commitment. I don't like to subscribe to blogs as the blog is then delivered to my email, and it is HARD to get anything meaningful out of my email to a wide audience. (although just today I noticed there is an RSS reader built in to outlook)
I need my blog reading plaform to connect to my sharing tools.  I love the sharing platform built into triberr, but I can only include posts from the tribes I belong to or follow and not enough of my fellow edu bloggers are on triberr.
I have never done much with RSS feeds, either supplying them or collecting them.  I was impressed with the uproar last summer when Google killed their Rss feed collector google reader.
From what I have been able to gather, RSS readers are difficult to support because the platform is an interchange more than a page.  In short you are organizing page views for other websites.
As a teacher this is useful to me because my subscribing my reader to the blogs I want to read I can have an education "magazine" on my ipad created from the blogs I subscribe to.  For my initial setup, I decided to go with feedly.  And I started with the Blog Roll I have been building of registered participants in #PATUE, the pedagogy and technology used in education chat, now on THURSDAYs 6 PST.
The home screen set to index shows all of my sources sorted by those with unread posts and those without.
Since I started with a list of addresses it was fairly easy to build this feedly.  I clicked on the add content button, entered the blog address in the search field and Feedly located the feed or related feeds.  Some sites had multiple feeds and in those cases I was carfeul to grab the main site feed and not the comments only feed.
The benefits of using a reader like feedly are two fold, the first, as you see in the capture of the home screen, if presents the blogs you want to read in an attractive manner.  The layout is clean.  The real benefit though comes in the sharing tools.  This is also where the free version is differentiated from the pro version.  With a prosubscription you can easily save feedly article to any evernote notebook.  There is also improved workflow with pocket and instapaper.  As a free user I like the facebook and twitter share buttons, but  love the buffer integration.  I am a free user of buffer and this limits me to loading 10 tweets at a time, but buffer sends them out on a time schedule meant to match when your audience is online.  This is a great way to curate content for your followers and deliver it when they are most likely to be looking.

Comments