Screencasting for Differentiation

There are many reasons to introduce tech into learning, but all the right ones are about increasing and supporting student learning.
When I began integrating tech into my high school English class, I started with a microphone to amplify my voice a little because I had a student in the class that had depressed hearing.  Once I was using the mic, I noticed that it created a more engaging environment for the other students  (except for one kid  physically cringed every time I turned on the mic).
As I became bolder about my tech usage, I started to explore lesson capture, recording the teaching I was doing.  This was great for many lessons and allowed me to just record what I was already doing in class. Once I saw how the videos and livescribe recordings could help support my students at home, I wanted that effect live in my room.  I had seen some good examples of screencasting when I had looked up videos about how to do things on my computer.
A screencast uploaded to Gdrive beats the YouTube Firewall
Screencasting is the ability to record your computer desktop with added audio, and it can be a powerful tool to differentiate instruction and scaffold learning.  While this form is widely used for computer program tutorials, consider having one window on your desktop as your notes or what you would normally project and a second as your face.  This creates a multiple pane video "stream."

Truths about Screencasting the Core of your Lesson:


  • It takes less time to record your lesson than it does to teach it to the class.  We spend a great deal of time stopping whole class instruction to answer questions.  I still answer student questions, but the whole class doesn't have to wait for me to answer.
  • Students will spend as much time as they need to with your screencast.  This means some will watch it 3 times and others will not even finish it once, that is ok.
  • Allowing students to chose their own pace is empowering, but it requires the teacher to build a lesson that has "room to run."  The top students need to have purposeful options to expand on and go beyond the basic goals of the lesson, so they take it to the next level instead of finishing early.
  • Provide multi-modal instructions so the narrated information is supported by written instruction.  This allows students who read well and comprehend quickly to "get-it" without having to watch your video.
  • Screencasting instruction allows students to take the time they need without making other students wait.  It also enable me as the teacher to work one on one with students who have questions.
  • Putting the information in a screencast empowers students to help each other.

A Few Tools for Screencasting

Jing -free
Snagit -30 day free trail
Screenr -web based
Juno Front Row -Hardware based infrared mic, amplifier and powerful screencasting software.  I use this for most of my screencasting

Tips for Screencasting Starring @WokkaPatue 




Do you already use screencasts to support student learning?  Share your perspective in the comments and include links to some of your screencasts.

Comments

Unknown said…
Other screencasting tools:

- Explain Everything app on iPad (let's you control the output video file, unlike other apps; not free, but worth the $2.99 price tag)
- If you use a Mac, Quicktime has a screen-recording function; downside: typing sounds are heard, and can be distracting; also, you may need to convert the file depending on how you want to use.distribute it; upside: free!)
Sam Patterson said…
These are both great options, thanks for sharing.
plakboek said…
I love using the browser based screencast recording software called Screenr. It is free and also hosts the video. There is a time limit of a few min but this is plenty for most of what I want to record. Cross platform, very easy to use and share with students. I would like now to have a closer look at Explain Everything. Thank you for the share :-)
MST said…
Put things on VIMEO, rather than youtube so teachers may access at work when youtube is blocked... :(
Nice video! The tips for screencasting very useful to learn the students.
nancy john said…
I think, is that teachers need to research EXHAUSTIVLY so that they understand the ins and outs of teaching ESL students abroad

TOEFL score