May Day! Passion-Based Teaching and the End of the Year

Suddenly the end of the year seems upon me, the kids are almost gone and there is so much left to do. I have progress reports tomorrow (honestly they already feel like post-mortems on the year).
The Kids are Restless and so am I
What I am always on guard against during this part of the year is the idea that "There is so little time left, why not waste it." It can be a tough line to hod when the weather is great and we are wrapping up the second to last book of the year. The last big paper of the year has been assigned, and I am reminded we haven't had a good poetry unit yet this year (again).
I am already thinking about the digital infrastruture I want to build for next year. The students are running around getting course approvals for next year. Our attention is split between this moment and the next.
So how can I help my students focus on our class experience, to be present in their own learning, even in the last month of class time?
The first step is keeping my head in the game, keeping my focus on their class and their writing. This shouldn't be hard as it is work I love to do and believe in deeply.
There is so little time left, how could we possibly waste it. We still have sonnets, and Catcher in the Rye, and so many conversations about digital citizenship and so many other topics in the cue.
We all are a little restless, so let's turn that disruption on ourselves.

Comments