Cyber Begging for Schools, Please Help (us all)

I got a note  from my friend Michelle, she teaches at Andrew Cook elementary in Waukegan.  She is a second year teacher.  Michelle asked me to pass along a plea for her school for a "chase giving" competition.  I believe in her and her school, so I voted.  Here is the information:


Andrew Cooke Magnet School PTO - economically depressed area, budget slashed to almost nothing to the point of not having enough laminating paper... a magnet school for the arts and sciences with an antiquated sound system so that the 3 shows a year are not heard.

$10,000 for the first 196 charities...we to DOUBLE OUR 388 votes by wednesday.... Vote now on FB.

Now I will pause for a second to let you click out to FB, allow the app to access your information, and vote. (soapbox follows)


Now I have to wonder why are we asking teachers to use their SM time to shill for their schools. I don't mind helping out a friend, but in talking to Michelle these campaigns rarely return anything worthwhile.  She tells me of teachers disheartened by promoting vote after vote only to get beat out by any number of non-profits. (think kittens and rock bands)

Since the PTO is behind this shouldn't they be promoting this, instead of the teachers? (how connected are the parents. . . )  From this perspective it looks like more evidence of the compounding damage of the digital divide (388 votes at a school with 485 students, this is not a model of an integrated online community).

In short: Please vote for Cook, they need the support. Also please do what you can to spread the worlds that cyber-begging campaigns at schools can be demoralizing for teachers and can hurt their ability to use SM for the learning and support they need.

Thank You

Comments

MST said…
Ah, thanks Sammy. I can't tell you how much it hurts to not have enough for our kids.

Oh and by the by...the PTO is AMAZING. They are the ones who support us and fund simple things - like real white boards - rather than the shower board the district has given us to write upon. They are the ones who are our biggest cheerleaders. They ARE voting and they are shilling.

It's doubtful that we will win the money - but I still can't help but hope!

Keep voting, please!
Sam Patterson said…
I am Glad the PTO has the lead on this, but I wish there was a better way for them to work to get real support to your school. This kind of fundraising only pays off if you can win the online popularity contest, and if schools were that visible they would already be better supported. Keep sending me the links and I will keep voting, but we have to find a better way to raise money, not just user profiles