Programming a Parrot Mini Drone with @TickleApp

Minidrones in the classroom? Does anyone else hear the "Christmas Story" refrain? Well, despite the fact that I am a little afraid that we might put an eye out, we are hitting the "Take Off" button and launching our robotics and programming work into the air. 

I don't want you to think I rushed into this.  I have been avoiding drones for months.  But suddenly, as a beta tester of the Tickle App, I have access to a platform that lets me program the drone with a block-based programming language.  The Tickle app works with both Sphero and Parrot Rolling Spider Drones, to bring the connected toy potential to it's highest point yet.
What does this look like?  We are adding a programmable tool to our toolbox.  Using the drone-specific programming blocks I was able to quickly launch the drone and land it, which was more success than I had the first time I manually flew it.
I was able to set the program up in 2 parts using the broadcast and receive event tags.  Once I understood how this worked I moved the broadcast event trigger to a collision sensor on a Sphero.  I was about to send a signal from the Sphero to the drone, causing it to launch, flip over, and land.  
I will be using the drones in my after school programming and robotics club (grade 4-6)  I don't plan on using these with the k-3 kids yet, if I do it will be very guided.  Seriously, you will put your eye out.


Here is the first drone pic of the K-3 club, they loved it

Comments