Can We Do That? (ROI/ Risk and Sphero)

Working with middle schools kids in an afterschool programming club, I am always looking for an engaging challenge.  When I mentioned the idea to my robot club they said "Oh that will be easy."  Sphero Robots to dance.  He mentioned Ok Go's new video "I won't let you down."
Later, I mentioned to a friend that I wanted the kids to teach our robots to dance.
This is a challenge worth chasing.  So today when they show up, I will throw down the OK GO video challenge to the kids.  Can they:
1. Choose a song they want to choreograph
2. Design what they want the robots to do
3. Program the robots to do it
4. Film the robots
5.Edit the film into a great short video

Honestly, I don't know if it will work.  This is a BIG gauntlet.  I also have to admit if I were faced with this challenge I would not know where to start.
Yesterday my collegaue asked me it we could ask kids to figure out programming challenges that we do not yet have the answer to, and I glibly told him "Sure!"
I believe it is important to have kids try things that might not work out, and to push them to explore beyond what we could imagine and prepare.  So today I am putting my money where my mouth.
Watch this space for updates, pictures and videos as my programmers attack this challenge.

So I wonder what the return on this investment of risk will be, and I can honestly say, I can't imagine.  (Seems like that is an indicator that I am moving in the right direction)

Here is our inspiration deck for this afternoon's robot club

I Won't Let You Down



Needing/Getting



End Love



The Writing's on the Wall



Some ideas are already pouring in from readers!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm excited to see what they come up with. Definitely a big gauntlet, but they may surprise us!