Levels in Learning, Making Room for Choice in Elementary

We are not always learning about programming, , but this week it became a choice activity.  Why? Because they asked for it. Prior to this we had built our skills using a Tynker over the course of 2 classes.  The first class focused on basic functional instruction and some strategies for finding answers:
  • Ask 3 then me
  • Read the screen
  • Try something else
  • Ask for help

In this first lesson I asked them to start at the beginning of level one, although several students said they had used the app before, so I asked them to start at a level appropriate to them.  This was where choice starts.  It is true that some kids might race ahead to a level that is not appropriate to them, but I kept an eye on the few kids who self-selected a higher level and only one was lost. It was not hard for me to guide him down to a more appropriate level.
In our second class with Tynker we programmed for a shorter a mount of time because the focus of the lesson was making a reflective Vlog about their learning process.  In this week's lesson we applied those vlogging skills to the science lesson of the week as they created a movie about their physical traits.
I have written about the lesson, but not what happened when they finished. As soon as they finished several students asked to use Tynker.  I don't know why this surprised me other than the fact that I was so focused on the lesson I had not thought about the end of the lesson. It is typical that in tech students will have a 10 minute range of difference in their finishing times. So when the students asked to use Tynker we gave them a choice between that and reading. As we build skill in other programs they will also become choices.
Working towards a choice-based hour, these choice-based times are good testing grounds.This is a little choice, but not truly student-centered; a student -centered approach would ask the students what they want to do.  There could be learning stations, but the stations would have to be choice based.  The kids would choose to go to that station and do that mode of learning until they decided to do something else, no timers, no rotations, choice.
The choices have to be made with flexible resources so if everyone chooses to do the same thing it is possible.  So I can already see that Tynker will be a good choice activity tool, maybe with a goal of designing a video game that tells a story or explains a concept.  When I checked in on a group of students they were working in a group (self selected, I never said anything about groups) and they had Tynker's game design tools open and were talking about the game in story terms. In 3rd grade they already have mastered the Rhetoric of video games.
My challenge, my dilemma, my guiding question is what would other learning choices be and how do I build towards those choices.  They cannot all be app-centered because I don't have enough good apps to choose from.  I also want to develop choices that put content learning out front. I want the teachers I work with to be inspired to replicate what I am doing.  The first time we try this on a whole class scale there will be some tech element at each station, as it will be in tech class.  
As I brainstorm content centered choice stations here are some I have come up with, please add your ideas to to this list:
  • Bring a story from Jewish studies to life using the Puppet Pals app.
  • A science lab where they conduct an experiment and record their evidence and observations in our forthcoming idea of a tablet-based science notebook (suggestions appreciated.)
  • An art station where they use Brushes or Paper 53 to render something with some content connection. (Open ended station design allows for flexibility)
  • A math station where they use stop motion and pattern blocks to model or design something.

These ideas do not mean I am ready to start, but I am getting there.  I still have many questions, and I want to know your questions.  I would love to know how you are approaching this challenge, share your ideas and questions in the comments and we can continue this journey towards an inclusive, progressive, choice-based pedagogy together.  

    

Comments