Introducing Programming with Tynker on the iPad

When I introduce programming in second grade, it isn't the first time many of my students have seen programming with block script on the iPad.  many of them used Daisy the Dinosaur or Hopscotch before.  The object of the lesson is NOT programming.
My learning objective today for second grade was to build problem solving strategies.  In this lesson we paired them up and asked them not ask the teacher for help first thing.

Our problem solving tools:
1. Read the Screen (it is really all about reading)
2. Ask your partner
3. Raise your hand and ask the teacher

Here is a live video of my introduction.

How do you introduce apps and keep the focus on your learning goals? Share your ideas and any suggestions for me in the comments.

NOTE: My projector is currently broken, which is why I don't mirror the iPad to the projector during this introduction.

Comments