The Coding Lesson: Programming in Primary

-continuing a series on teaching coding in primary grades-


Once I saw the potential of coding and the ability to use the activity of coding to get students to spend more time with the content, I was hooked.  Now I had to figure out how to create learning to code as a learning experience for my students.

To paraphrase William Carlos Williams, so much depends upon your classroom context. (if I didn’t occasionally throw in some bad English teacher jokes you would be disappointed, admit it)  When designing a coding lesson, remember that a good coding lesson is going to be structured in much the same way as any other student centered lesson in your class.  My lesson is going to begin with a brief period of direct instruction and goal setting.  If I can do this through video with a puppet, I do.  Even though it is a false variety, I like to have the kids get their information from multiple sources and media, so if the puppet can lead the into activity. I let him.  I try to get the kids working as quickly as possible and I want them working for at least 30 minutes.  Some can go longer, but coding is demanding and requires frustration management skills.


The Coding Lesson - Created with Haiku Deck, presentation software that inspires

In the next post we will talk about the power of having students program in pairs, we also ask How do we keep girls engaged in coding and excited about learning through code? What questions do you have about programming in primary?  leave a comment and join the conversation, or tweet at me @SamPatue.




Comments