Flipping Your Class with Just in Time Recording

source: Wikimedia commons
This week I am honored to be presenting at November Learning's Building Learning Communities Conference.  I have posted the slide deck I am using and links from the presentation here.  Please join the conversation in the comments or tweet your ideas and questions to me @SamPatue and use #BLC14.  Thank you for learning with me.  The theme of the preso -> flipping your class turns you into a timelord.


Flipping Your Class with Just in Time Recording from Sam Patterson, MFA, Ed.D.

Sam Patterson MFA EdD.  I began my teaching journey as a TA working the freshmen composition circuit at San Diego State.  The projectors were all overhead and the boards on the wall were only interactive if you and your students each had a piece of chalk.  From there I went to middle school and high school, teaching English, a little history, darkroom photography, and Math.  This school had Smart boards and I struggled to learn how to make them an effective part of my class.  This was during the clear skies era, not a cloud storage system in sight.  I remember when I finally learned how to connect a microphone to my computer, my students thought I was crazy.  My second school had Smart boards and even less tech sport and vision than my first.  I was innovating in a vacuum.  I launched a blog to record my attempt to go paperless, and began experimenting with content capture.  
I discovered that even a simple recording could be useful to my students because it made time more flexible, it freed me from the relentlessly linear march of time.  I can remember telling my 9th graders to pay attention because you can't rewind class and I don't repeat my jokes.  How times have changed, now they can rewind the class and I know my instruction, jokes and all, could land in a much wider audience than just my classroom.
As I experimented I learned a lot, sometimes I was lucky enough to fail forward, other times I just failed.  There are plenty of challenges to recording lessons and sharing them, let's take a look at which challenges you identified as your biggest barriers.

Links from the Presentation: 


Content capture to Content Creation, an incrimental approach 
Matching Tool with Need  -Livescribe long lecture
Screencasting - using the screen as a canvas  Screencasting for Differentiation 

Comments