Are Jim Henson's Doozers the Hipsters of the Maker Movement?

When I opened my email on Tuesday night I was sorting through the "promotions" section of gmail and I came across a Klout perk.  For those of you who don't know Klout, I would describe it as a mostly silly social media metric generator.  There may be ways to make it a useful platform, but mostly I find that paying attention to these sorts of numbers is a distraction from creating content that is actually useful to others.  With one email, Klout may have redeemed itself.  The perk I received was a preview of the pilot episode of a new HULU series "Doozers" based on the Doozer characters from Fraggle Rock.
I opened the episode out of curiosity, and was delighted from the opening theme song on.  As a teacher working with elementary kids I find myself looking for messages I approve of in media for kids.
 In this cartoon there was problem solving, cooperation, innovation and a strong m"maker" ethic.  When I referred to them as the hipsters of the maker movement, these muppets were doing this work long before it was cool, and the launch of the cartoon series is well designed to tap into the popular spirit of innovation and design combined with play.
As I watched I was really excited about the themes I saw developing and then the show started with a puppet show!  Through the episode the "pod squad," the main character group the show follows, work together to design a solution to a puppet show problem: spoiler alert- giant puppets.  I hope this series does well and while I don't often blog about shows, this is one I will keep on my play list.

Comments