Hour of Code, a K-8 Community Day Approach

We are talking about hosting a 3 hour community event for Hour of Code.  I thought I would share my thinking as I put it together.  On a first draft I came up with this plan.
Possible Outline of activities

All ages in CourtYard -Kodable’s Paper-Based programming Activity (page 14)

Kinder-1 Kodable on Ipads (6 Kinder Pads, 6 from Bag)

Grades 1-2 Daisy The Dinosaur (6 first grade Ipads, 6 second grade Ipads) Donna’s Room

Grades 3-4 Hopscotch (6 third grade iPads and 6 fourth Grade Ipads)

Grades 5-6 Scratch in LS lab 24 PC's

Grades 7-8 Code Academy in MS Lab 24 PC's

I am thinking about making the PC labs rotate content at least once as there are several other programming opprotunities that we could explore, but we only have so many PC's and so much lab space.  This schedule makes the most of our iPads and we have others we can deploy.  I would imagine that the  participants will bring their own devices also.  (My site will need to plan for that bandwidth load).

Are you looking for more ideas for hour of Code?  Check here.

Comments