Teaching "Ted Talk" Skills

There is nothing like a good model to help teach a skill.  Unfortunately when you are teaching PowerPoint there is nothing like a good model.  This year where the curriculum said "PowerPoint" I wrote in Ted Talk Skills.

We used Haiku Deck, an awesome app for iPad-based presentations. I love the creative commons search built in to the interface as well as the wide range of ways to share the deck. I have embedded the deck we used in class. The notes are visible on the website. The students came in to class and began downloading Haiku Deck. As this downloaded I gave the below presentation about presentations. Afterwards we put the kids to work.



Created with Haiku Deck, the free presentation app for iPad

One thing I learned today: everybody loves bullet points no matter how much you say they are a bad idea.

Notes: Student do NOT have to sign in to use Haiku Deck.  Once they are signed in go to settings and turn off "Commercial images only" and "Show premium images."


Comments

Unknown said…
Sam,

Were there any skills beyond creating a slideshow that you were trying to teach in the lesson?
Sam Patterson said…
I talked about being compelling and engaging. The notes should be visible on the slide share. I should add them to this post. We had 45 minutes for class, we managed to spend 35 actually working, so I am sure I could say more.

As they worked I talked about how text on slides actively disengages the audience because they have to choose between listening to you and reading. I then ranted against bullet points. I told them to talk directly to the people in their audience.

What are some points you would add? (I teach it again later today) .