SketchUp in Science, 3D Molecule Modeling in 7th grade

The Original Assignment


Seventh grade has created model of molecules using Styrofoam balls, or clay, or round fruit since anyone here can remember.
This year we decided to bring this science project into tech class and ask the students to create a 3-d model of their chosen molecule in SketchUp Make, a free 3-d rendering engine from the good folks at Google

The Obstacles


Once we decided on the program to use we needed to get it installed on our machines.  Even though I put in a request on Tuesday, the machines were not ready with the program by Thursday, so for Thursday's class we had students find and build 2-D drawings of their molecule and were prepared for 3-D drawing the following Thursday.

Class 2-Success

With the .net framework on the machines updated the program was loaded and the students were ready to go.  I did a quick walk through of the features and showed the class the 3-D model warehouse where I instructed them to download a sphere and get started designing their molecule.  Imagine my surprise when after the first class I discovered the students can download a 3-D model of a molecule tool kit!

Super Powers:Discovering the Molecule Model Tool Kit

Here is a short video with everything you need to get started with your class.  


What is next? Augmented Reality?

As far as I can tell we can't get these model out of sketch up and into an augmented reality program, YET.


Comments

Unknown said…
good blog, I watch it full. please give me suggestion for microbial fuel cell is it a good topic for my school project.