Quick Connections 1: Ipad to Standard Keyboard

Using the "Camera kit," a 30 pin to USB connector or lightning to USB connector for the newer models, you can connect a standard USB keyboard to an iPad.

The process is really simple, connect the usb to the dongle, connect dongle to the ipad, ignore the message that pops up "This device is not supported."  The Dell keyboard I used worked great, despite the fact that it was "Not Supported" according to the pop up message.
As we have been rolling out Ipads to the elementary school one of the most common questions I have received is "What about typing?"  I know there are some out there who don't see typing instruction as needed, but it is.  I think students need handwriting instruction as well as typing instruction.  In the best situations we are developing these skills in context, but some discrete practice is needed.  Now that I have found a way to connect full size keyboards to the iPad, my next challenge will be to fins a great typing app. (I am open for suggestions.)
Why not a bluetooth keyboard?  We didn't want to go with BT because we have heard other school's frustrations with getting a whole class of BT keyboards to sync with the correct devices.  We also didn't want to give the teachers something else they had to charge.

Comments