You Are What You Share

The idea that identity is socially constructed is not new, but changing my job context has allowed me to see this in action.  My tech lab bulletin boards are still mostly bare, but one carries this slogan "You Are What You Share."  This is not my phrasing, in fact I had trouble tracking down when it first appeared. (if it is yours let me know and I will give you credit and a link right here.)
I was thinking of my PLN life and how I have made choices about what and how I share in order to construct my "Digital Self."  These choices would construct my identity whether or not I approached them thoughtfully.  As I work with students I will try to point them in the direction of awareness and making mindful choices.
In many of our meetings this week we have been talking about integrating digital citizenship into our character education program.  In fact just calling it digital citizenship is misleading.  It is citizenship and the lessons apply in many different contexts.
I am blessed to work in a private school that subscribed to a values-based approach to character development.  This year as we work to integrate technology into learning we are also integrating digital citizenship into the character ed program.
There are many acronyms in education, and THINK is my current favorite.  It is often invoked in a digital citizenship context, but I am hard pressed to imagine how you could go wrong if you let it guide all of your actyions.  Before you act, THINK.. Is it True? is it Helpful? is it Inspiring? is it Necessary? is it Kind?  I love this and I need to write a post about building your PLN that is titled "if you want followers on twitter, THINK."
When we were talking about this program for the students I suggested a think workshop for parents, seriously so they know what we are doing. Also, I believe in spreading good ideas.  As I have been meeting new people and settling in to the new job I have been trying to THINK as much as possible.  So far so good, we are finishing week one as a staff in training and I have so many new people I am working with.  My calendar is filling like a flower bed in spring.  I will share more as I learn more.  Thanks for reading.


Comments