Starting a Writing Class with KidBlog

So this week I am super-excited to be sharing my passion about writing with a new group of students.  I spent today setting up the KidBlog.org site for the Dawson College bound writing program.

I love blogging with students and while I cannot yet share the site with you, here is the content of the first post.

credit: Mike Licht
Welcome
We will be writing together this summer in this space, the Dawson College Bound Blog. You will be asked to write about your learning, your understanding of the world, and your developing understanding of yourself. This is a special place and here we are all writers. No matter what your previous experience in writing is here you will experiment with new ideas and develop the skills you need to be a successful writer no matter what your interests are.

Why Write?
A writing teacher of mine told me to "write to discover what you think." This seemed silly to me at the time. After all, don't I already know what I think? But I did something important, I trusted her. She asked me to write to discover and explain, to explore, she pushed me to write more than I wanted to, and it changed my world. We write to learn about the world and ourselves. We write to share what we learn with others. Writing is a way to allow your ideas to move beyond you. We are blogging in this class because we are going to learn how to use words to connect with the world outside of ourselves and our community. As we work together this summer and beyond we will share this writing space. You will learn how to write and you will learn how to respond to the writing of others in a compassionate and caring way. These skills will make you a valuable part of any community you interact with. Having mad skills at math is great, being able to write about math to share your mad skills with the world is life-changing. Some people would argue that in this age of texting and snap-chat writing is dying. It is true that we have an increasing number of ways to communicate with different audiences, but writing still remains a powerful medium to share and develop ideas. Writing is power. Together we are going to build your power. #WriteOn

Comments