Digital Handwriting and My Paperless Classroom

As I am working on my presentation for ISTE13 on The best Digital Tools for Writer's Workshop I have spent much more time than I would have guessed reflecting on what I have tried in my classes, what worked well, and what I wish had worked out better.
By AndrewBuck Wikimedia commons
I find that when I look at tools and strategies from a strictly pedagogical view, the value reflected is different than if I look at things from my own point of view.  There are significant differences between what I like as a writer and a tech user and what will best benefit my students.
  Digital Handwriting seems to fall into this category.  The more comfortable I get with Tech, the more I look to use my Ipad or SmartBoard to capture my own handwriting.  Even though my penmenship has always been a challenge to read, I refuse to give it up.  In fact, I find that when I need to write more complex documents or ideas, I still draft them out longhand.  The fourth chapter of my dissertation was a hopeless mess until I wrote it out in my journal.  Recognizing this in myself, and feeling the cognitive difference between composing in handwriting versus typing has kept me committed to keeping handwriting in the writing process for my students. Now I am beginning to wonder if I am completely misguided and if I am paying too much attention to how I learned to write and not enough attention to their reality.
Created in Paper53 app by Sam Patterson
  At the conference I will be talking about the power of Evernote to make handwritten notes searchable, this is not OCR because the writing is not being converted into editable typed text, this is a visual recognition that makes images of handwriting searchable.  As a person who has filled countless notebooks and never looked at them again, I am intrigued by the idea of creating a database of my notebooks where I could actually FIND things again.  In fact I will be working on creating a digital archive of my handwritten work starting in a month or so and I will share that work here.  While this is a great thing for me to do I am no longer convinced it has a benefit for my students. As I look at the tools I want to use as a teacher, handwriting will be in the mix.  I need to be able to write on the board, or an IWB, or a Whiteboard app.  The writing makes a difference, it carries something different than just typing.  My students are much more interested in using a distinctive font than in handwriting anything.  I want them to become writers in a community of other writers.  I want them to create, share, respond, and revise.  Once I am teaching in a 1:1 environment I think this internal debate will be over.  For now I have to acknowledge that I have an emotional investment in handwriting texts, but it is so much easier to read and respond to texts that they type.
  Thanks for reading this post, I would love to know what you think about handwriting and technology, is it a choice we have to make?  Is there room for both?  Maybe this will be a future #PATUE chat topic: the pedagogy and technology of handwriting.

Comments

Unknown said…
Nice post, Sam. I think as a fellow fan of the handwritten word, it is hard to let that go as a skill we promote in our students. It has become more of an art form than a necessary life skill. It would certainly be an interesting chat to have on #PATUE but my guess is that there would be an overwhelming response against promoting it as anything more than art or a tool for teachers. Technology has given our students so many ways to decrease the stresses and frustrations that can be associated with writing. Students can now focus on the ideas rather than the physical and conventional demands associated with penmanship. I'll be interested to see your archive and what you can do with it.
Sandy Kendell said…
Before anyone completely throws out handwriting in the age of all-things-digital, it is important to look at what the research is telling us about the benefits of handwriting in learning development, including reading and fine motor skills. This article is a good start:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/memory-medic/201303/what-learning-cursive-does-your-brain

Also, we have to remember some people learn better when they can touch and feel and truly interact with the medium they are using. Touch-screen tablets and keyboards aren't exactly the same as writing with a pen or pencil. Electronic devices don't activate the same neurons that handwriting, whether it be print or cursive, does.
Unknown said…
"Technology has given our students so many ways to decrease the stresses and frustrations that can be associated with writing. Students can now focus on the ideas rather than the physical and conventional demands associated with penmanship." Victoria, I like what you said here. It makes me question what we want from students. The fluency and stamina of handwriting, or the ideas and voice that flow when hand cramps and sloppy writing is not a detractor.

Sam- as I type my response, I think about how I am so disconnected to handwriting. I find that, for me, handwriting long pieces is tedious and slow. Not to mention physically uncomfortable. I would much rather type. However, when it comes to note taking, I would much rather do that by hand. My handwritten notes take on a life of their own. Arrows, lines, scribbles- I can't see myself moving away from that aspect of handwriting. Which makes me love my Livescribe pen!
Jochen Gros said…
What if touch screes will raise a new trend in personal handwriting, cursive or not. And with different apps, both can be used in emails, teweets, etc..
Apple iBook: THE DIGITAL RISE OF HANDWRITING AND ILLUSTRATION

This book is available for download on your iPad with iBooks or on your computer with iTunes.
https://itunes.apple.com/book/digital-rise-handwriting-illustration/id689182028?mt=11
Unknown said…
Hi,
This one is great and is really a good post. I think it will help me a lot in the related stuff and is very much useful for me. Very well written I appreciate & must say good job.

--------------------------------------------------------
Handwriting Franchise