Why Teachers Should Blog

It is quarter to 10 the night before the chat and I don't have the questions written yet. This is definitely too late to write a promo for the chat. I guess this page will just be a postscript. I believe in blogging. Writing is a transformative act and sharing it with others creates a community of ideas.
Last week's chat about blogging in teaching focused on the why and the what of blogging. I blog for myself, but with a clear sense of my audience, I hope. So I try to "be useful" this means when I could write abut may things, I choose the one that is about something I am learning, a tool I am understanding or questioning. (In this case I would choose not to write a long post about how understanding and questioning are related and cocreative endeavors).
Blogging isn't "for experts" I sometimes feel there is a perception that those blogging teachers think they have all the answers. It should be noted that this perception is itself evidence that the person has never read many teacher blogs. While there are conventional "enewsletter" class blogs many teachers blogs are thoughtful logs of challenging lessons, imperfect solutions and comments sharing positive suggestions. The blogging Ts know they don't have the answers, they are building a network of creative thinking problem solvers.
Blogging takes time, all good things do. Keep in mind that some very good blogs publish just a short post or two a week. Pick a topic and write 4 posts about it. Write a summary of ideas from a good chat you were in. Look at the writing you already do and the writing you know you should do, recast as much as possible as blog posts. Set a schedule and write for 10-15 minutes, don't over do it. Keep doing it. Set topics based on your interests and needs. I write about grades at the end of the quarter, course design in the summer, books we are reading in class.
#writeon- Writing changes worlds.

Comments

Unknown said…
I just wanna thank you for sharing your information and your site or blog this is simple but nice article I've ever seen i like it i learn something today.
-----------
handwriting solution
To blog is to teach yourself what you think and share the same. Teachers and educators have so much to gain from blogging and i firmly believe that all should!