State of the Curation

So I am still thinking critically about curation and it seems like there are new tools all the time.  What do they accomplish?  Have I properly maintained the tools I launched?

So let's start with the very beginning, paper.li
This newsletter was a great introduction to curation, but it was confusing. Many of these tools are still regarded as spam, but if they are maintained they can be very valuable information aggregators. If I don't want to waste time online, I will read from one of these service. Pare.li allows me to draw form sources, like lists on twitter, as well as # searches and individual twitter users. In comparative terms Paper/li has one of the broadest ranges of manually assignable inputs to the search.

After Paper.li, my attention was captured by Scoop.it.  While the Paper.li topic was just Edtech, I set up the Scoop.it to look at student engagement and BYOT.

The engaging part of scoop.it was the emphasis on pictures.  This focus pervades much of the new web 2.0 tools.  The newest one to catch my eye has been NewsMix.  Newsmix is a visual composite blog built from a designated list of up to 25 people on twitter.
I have assembled 2 of these channels.  The first is "YOUR ADE NEWS" For this channel I searched for Apple Distinguished Educators and used them as the sources.
apple distinguished educators, great ideas from apple distinguished educatorsThe ADE and GCT teacher communities are great points to start for best practices in ed tech curation. they have been identified as generous active members of the community and they have received training and support.
In each of these curation projects I have tried to create a specific focus.
The second Newsmix I set up was in support of the Palo Alto Tech Using Educators (#PATUE). This page was seeded with many of the great people I have connected with through PATUE.  So far the hardest thing about writing this post has been how much I have read from each of these sites as I am trying to grab screenshots or embed codes.  Which brings me to a bit of a sore point on Newsmix.  I can't find the embed codes, and I don't know enough to code up my own bridge.  But as you can see above, scoop.it has a high performance widget and it isn't a premium feature, it is functionality.

Another difference in functionality, as I compose this in blogger, the scoop.it widget is grinding away up there.  On the other hand the Paper.li widget is invisible and only appear when published.
Out of these 3 I like the search structure of Paper.li the best, while Scoop.it owns the widget world. Newsmix is new and does a great job of making twitter visual.
I hope that the ADE page helps me connect to members of that community, as quite frankly, I would like to be one.  The #PATUE page I hope to use as an extension of the community building around the PATUE Talk and Chat events.
While one of my friends dismisses all of this as spam, I hope to use it for good through intentionality and reflection. (learning is living)
Use the comments to weigh in, is this spam and do you hate it?


Comments