Gamification = Critical Thinking About Assessment. . .from Students

When I looked at bringing badges into my class I thought about how can badges be used to open a discussion of goals and assessment.  From the reading I have done it seems like at their best, badges improve student engagement by allowing them to act like the stakeholders they are.  I brought my students into the process.
  
During one class, after we had discussed the essay we are writing, I introduced the idea of badges and asked them to design badges for The Odyssey unit.
My students would like me to point out that this is just a SMALL sample of the badges created.  This sample was bounded my the media, I set up the paper gallery first.  The stickers you see on the posters are votes.
What do these badges reveal about my students and my classroom?  Let me know what you think.

Comments

Sarah Blattner said…
I love this student-directed, hands-on experience with assessment and student-designed badges. Take a look at this article on another example of student-designed badges: http://digitalis.nwp.org/resource/4274 Thanks for sharing this. The students are really invested in the idea of assessment and are critically thinking about their work. The engagement is awesome.