The Power of Handwriting


Comments

Greg Graham said…
Hello, Love your blog! I just discovered you and thought you might be interested in an interview I did with author/teacher Heather Sellers about requiring students to turn in handwritten first drafts. Here it is: http://bit.ly/HzNS35
Sam Patterson said…
Thanks for sharing this, I will check it out. I hear the Common Core is pushing out cursive. I can't believe it.
Greg Graham said…
Yes, cursive is all but dead. My students (college freshmen) almost universally dismiss it.

Did you see the study at the bottom of the interview? Preliminary neurological evidence indicates that cursive writing boosts memory better than other forms of writing.
Sam Patterson said…
I will have to read that study. I resented my cursive training and have always been at odds with my handwriting, but I find that when I need to write doing it by hand allows me the think better. I want to understand that more.