You Want to Command Attention?

If you want to command your student's attention, look the part. Clowns, purple dinosaurs, giant mice, these are larger than life characters that kids are tuned into. I am not saying that all teachers should dress like clowns, but I am saying that it would be foolish not to recognize that there is power in being visually arresting.

I admit that if all teachers wore bow ties we would look like an army of ice cream men for 1950, but since they don't, it gives me a unique visual branding. I try to wear a bow tie everyday for the first month of class, after that the kids know me as the "bow tie guy." I know the bow tie alone doesn't do it, but have a "uniform" helps me to develop and support my super excited teacher persona.

If I was born beautiful this post would be about the importance of being visually pleasing, but working with what I was given I can say a well-developed goofy look can be an invisible ally.



Comments