Digital Citizenship; Engagement through Power

"With great power comes great responsibility" -Stan Lee. That is right true believers, when it comes to keeping students enaged, we have to allow them to make important chopices about what they are learning and what

they are doing with what they learn. I am using Digital Citizenship as a gateway into a discussioin of our roles and responsibility as community members, in person and f2f.

While I can't give my students super powers via radioactive spider bite (sorry kids), I can give them an anonymous Kidblog account, a school email address, and a Schoology Account

As I share these tools with my students we will be completing a number of assignments designed to get them comfortable with the tool. (like building that first bird house in wood shop)

While I am using these tools as a medium, the real skill I am focusing on is compassion. During a #satchat

recently I was discussing cyberbullying and how to prevent it. In the discussion many people discussed the role of the community in preventing face 2 face bullying. We need to create a community of the same mindfulness and transparency online. By participating with our students onilne we can model caring and compassionate behavior. We can show them what it means to be of service to another user. We can model that praise is public and criticisim is private and caring.



Comments